Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Chocolate salted carmel slice.

be real
dark, originally uploaded by various brennemans.

Ohh, how my heart loves anything made with condensed milk. Maybe it has something to do with the health nurse having my Mum put me on it as a baby. I know, what were they thinking.

The salted caramel, is just a great combination, so please don't leave it out.

Chocolate salted caramel slice.

Base
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 desiccated coconut
125g butter melted

Filling
400g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
60g butter melted.
1 tsp Maldon sea salt

Topping
200g good quality plain chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids, hide this from husband)
Preheat oven to 180 deg c. Line a 3 cm deep, 28x 18cm (base) lamington pan.
Combine all base ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
Press into prepared lamington pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 min, or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Make filling
Melt the butter slightly in a pan over a low heat for 2 minutes, add the condensed milk and golden syrup. whisk the mixture well till butter is thoroughly incorporated. cook for 8 minutes stirring constantly, until thickened and light golden in colour.( never take your eyes off it, it will burn very easily)
Pour over the cooled base, sprinkle with the salt.
Bake for 10 minutes until set.
Cool completely.
Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a microwavable bowl. microwave for 1 min 45 sec on high, or until fully melted. stirring halfway.
leave to cool slightly, then pour over the caramel.
Refrigerate to set. Cut into squares to serve.

4 comments:

  1. Another Recipe I would love to try the only thing is no golden syrup I wonder what I could use instead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a light treacle or honey may be a good substitute. Let me know how you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lucky find. I just saw this chocolate salted caramel on TV last night and thought, I need to try that!! And here we are, a recipe. Yay!

    With friends coming over for coffee tomorrow, I will try and squeeze in time to make it today. I'll let you know how it turns out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need the Golden Syrup, they are super sweet so if you leave out the GS, you'll be fine. They worked a treat at work though, everyone ate them!

    ReplyDelete