I wanted to share my 40th birthday ideas with you all. I feel that tasteful party ideas are so hard to find.
When I thought of having a party I knew I wanted it to be fun, memorable and have a 20's feel to it. I didn't expect people to dress up but they could if they wanted to.
In case they hadn't I had prepared a whole lot of props to use in fun photo booth shots.
These were some things I used...
- Firstly a large wooden frame with the picture removed. An op shop one will set you back anywhere between $20 to $50 dollars. Ouch! This one was a lucky roadside find.
- Some handmade headbands, elasticised lace, sequins, and some silver elastic, also some florals which can all be bought by the metre. I also used feathers. you could use gemstones or old bits of costume jewellery or beading they would be equally good.
- A hot glue gun is needed or some hand or machine sewing. I made about 8 an easy way to add a 20's touch.
- Your local $2.00 shop will have feather boas and parasols these are really good for photos. Keep these in some vintage suitcases, laid out. They look awesome, wish I had had more time.
- If you wanted to go further you could source a cloche hat in wool, felt or crochet even. Men wore boater hats shirts, bow ties, suspenders.
- Stiff felt, skewers for moustache on a stick. This was a great way to add some fun. I asked at the always-fabulous Kit and Nancy (who also shares a birthday with me) for some tips making them. An online tutorial with templates found at Lisa Welge also helped. Thanks xxx, these were brilliant.
You could have a backdrop like a velvet curtain, we just used the parasols or the wall.
Your party could use some cute cues, like these.
A welcoming framed backboard for guests to see as they come in with the words welcome come this way. I love the old pointed finger, but I'd left that too late and was stressing about not being ready. This blackboard was made from a painting also found on the side of the road, with the frame we used to take pictures. Nice one, me!
Lastly my outfit.
I love you Savers, this dress cost me $6.99 at a 50% off sale. Brilliant for a party, particularly with a vintage theme. Another wonderful store is Lost & Found Market in Brunswick, wonderful place. I found these pearls there for $12.00.
I will share my food for the night on my next post, just too much to fit in.